Saturday 12 February 2011

TAOP Focal length and angle of view.

Outline: To create three images to familiarise youself with the focal length capabilities of your camera in comparison with your own view. Create one standard picture, one wide angle and on telephoto.

First exercise done. It's taken a while mind, due to me having to wait for my new lens to arrive. So i sat at my desk and took the three pictures:
Picture 1 - Focal Length 55mm

For picture 1, I fiddled with my lens till the object appeared the same size as my eye view. This was at focal length 55mm according to the numbers on my lens.

Picture 2 Wide Angle - Focal Length 18mm

Picture 3 Telephoto - Focal Length 135mm

Conclusion:
To appear the same size as my own eye view, picture 1 had to be held at arms length, so pretty comfortably within my reach. Picture 2 literally had to be held right infront of my eye to appear the same size as my view and picture 3 had to be held about 2 ft behind the original subject!
As a first exercise, this has really given me an insight into the ability of the different lenses and i'm looking forward to starting the next exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment